June 2019

Minute of the Laurencekirk Development Trust 12th June 2019 – Burgh Buildings 7.30 pm
Chaired by Colleen Henderson
Present: Colleen Henderson (CH), Anne-Maryse Churchill (AMC), Marion Robson (MR), Fred Higgins (FH), Lesley Higgins (LH), Morag Mitchell (MM), Ann Lewendon (AL), Euan Ramsay (ER), Lynn Moir (LM)

1. Welcome from CH.

2. Apologies were submitted by Jim Stuart and Toby Burrell.

3. Notifications of conflicts of interest: None.

4. Minute of Meeting on 8 May 2019: Proposed by AMC and seconded by ER.

5. Matters Arising from the Minutes. Note date of car boot sale is to be 23 June 2019 at Mearns Academy Bus Park.

6. Conveth Project: CH and AMC reported on visit to the old Stonehaven Sheriff Court which was acquired through a CAT for £1. CH putting pros and cons. CH suggesting we bring in local groups to pool our expertise as it is such a big project on our own. AL suggesting fund raising to get local support as well as getting funds to employ someone to take it forward as so many of us willing but time poor. Various suggestions as to how we could raise funds to get the necessary professional advice. MR suggesting a coffee morning which was well received. MR will check suitable dates.

Action: MR. MM suggesting doing an application for funding. There is a fund of £4000 which we could tender for. CH also pointing out that there are £50,000 of developer obligations which would be available. MM suggesting applying for some of the windmill money and Leader funding. CH suggesting a walk through of the community centre to raise awareness. Briefly discussing the meeting with Lesley Robertson of the Council with the various local groups that CH and TB attended. FH asking what the value of the CC is and if anyone else interested. Advising that there had been interest but not sure if there is anymore but we will be advised. AMC to chase up Diane Strachan again regarding the valuation. Action: AMC

7. Access Path to Garvock Hill. Bringing this up as MR had asked JS to take it forward. In the absence of JS no report.

8. Laurencekirk Gala: MM advising that matters are proceeding well. The car boot sale is going ahead on the 23 June. Twelve pitches sold already at a cost of £10 each. Also variety of things going forward to raise money which MM estimates will be about £7000 including end of term disco, Duck race, Tough Mudder (field from John Medlock), Medium Night at the Crown and Gala Dance to name but a few.

9. Review of Communication with members and GDPR: MM is working on this. Action MM.

10. Grant Appplication to Aberdeenshire for £305 grant. No one knows anything about this apart from the fact that it hasn’t come in. Action: JS

11. Tenth Anniversary of reopening of railway station. MR gave a detailed report of progress to date. All going very well. A number of meetings have taken place in particular one with the Station Manager Gemma Forbes. The celebration will take place at the station between 10.15 and 11 which is the quietest time train wise. Thereafter we will go to the Dickson Hall for teas and coffees. There will be a small charge of £3 for adults (children free) which will pay for the hall at £17.50 per hour.

A number of hours will be required to facilitate the set up and clear up. There will be bunting at the station supplied by Scotrail, freebies for the children, pipers and dancers. ED Murray will do the speech. Scotrail will do the posters which will include the original re-opening poster. Agreed this is an ideal time to do all of this with all the ongoing timetabling problems and to raise awareness again of how important the station is to us. Action: MR, MM, LH, LM and ER.

12. Vacant Position of Treasurer: It was noted with sadness that due to work commitments AL is resigning as she is relocating to Aberdeen. CH thanked AL on behalf of the group for her invaluable contribution. AL then discussed the details and handed over all the paperwork to CH as custodian pending the appointment of a new Treasurer. AL noting that perhaps if we are going to have a lot of funds we should employ someone to do the work for us. The Bank and Companies House will need to be advised of change of address. The next tax return does not need to be filed until November 20/20. Also noting Villages in Control still has a balance of £40. Signatories for the Bank are Jim, Ann and Mike. ER speaking about online banking which would make things easier.

13. Secretarys Report: Matters arising as noted above. AMC advising about DTAS conference on 1 and 2 September. MR and MR will be attending. Noting that Lesley Robertson wishes another meeting with all the community groups in August if possible. Rory Dutton in touch about another CAT transfer. Noting that a gentleman David Johnston-Oates wishes to become a member of LDT. Noting there is a background there.

14. Treasurers Report: As above under item 12 of the Agenda.

15. Chairmans Report: None as JS not in attendance.

16. Fund raising. Discussed as above under item 6 of the Agenda.

17. AOCB. None.

18. Date of Next Meeting: Wednesday 10 July at 7.30 pm in the Burgh Buildings.

May 2019

Minute of the Laurencekirk Development Trust 8 May 2019 – Burgh Buildings 7.30 pm.
Chaired by Jim Stuart.
Present: Jim Stuart (JS), Anne-Maryse Churchill (AMC), Marion Robson (MR), Fred Higgins (FH) , Lesley Higgins (LH), Morag Mitchell (MM), Toby Burrell (TB)

1. Welcome from JS.

2. Apologies were submitted by John Medlock, Coleen Henderson and Ann Lewendon. TB asking to go round table so that all new Directors were introduced properly.

3. Notifications of conflicts of interest: None.

4. Minute of Meeting on 10 April: Proposed by JS and seconded by MM.

5. Matters Arising from the Minutes. All included in the Agenda.

6. Conveth Project: Many groups are or would be interested. Out of school club. Library would be happy and it can be done in a number of ways. Open library and “book shop.” MR suggesting book club. Chest, Heart and Stroke. MR and MR would look after that. Mental Health – no support there presently at the moment so there is an opening for that. Portocabin for Mens Shed suggested by JS.

Regarding the out of school club there can be up to 70 or 80 children involved. We would be looking for the Council to pay for the space. LH saying it would need to be a separate space. MR thinks parents would help raise funds. TB pointing out that a reception would be needed for the children coming in. JS advising that there are excess portocabins for use and a discussion evolved round that. There were old portocabins that were used at the old Academy.

There was a discussion re The Venue. Older generation need more to do. The average age around Blackiemuir Avenue is 55.

7. Access Path to Garvock Hill. JS advises that he has been hijacked as Amey involved Action JS.

8. Laurencekirk Gala: MM advising that there are 10 Committee members and 12 volunteers. A sub-committee has been set up for the bar. There was a £4000 fund for that but because it was not used it was distributed to the Memorial Park. Noting that the marquee is going to cost £3500. Date is to be 8 August 2020. Coop at the north end is getting involved. T shirts being printed. There is a funding page been set up. Car Boot on the 16 June at the Academy car park. Coffee mornings. Race nights. Many ideas for the event itself including Disco, car treasure hunt and the hill run. The Gala Committee have taken a table at the Farmers Market in May to promote the gala. There is also to be a fashion show. City church are to be asked to do the service. Bowling club will do a competition. Quiz night at the Alma. Special attraction could be motorbike show with stunts. Tough mudder for adults and children also as a fundraiser.

9. Review of Communication with members and GDPR: MM is working on this. Action MM.

10. Grant Appplication to Aberdeenshire for £305 grant. Check if it has come in to the Bank. MR did the application. TB and CH going to meeting with Lesley Robertson at the Campus on 13/5/19 from 7 -8. Action: JS

11. Tenth Anniversary of reopening of railway station. MR asking if everyone would come to her house for a meeting. MM, LH, LM and ER would be involved as previously minuted. Suggesting 15/5/19 at 7.30. MR will email everyone accordingly. MR thinking of September. Will check with station master that that is okay. Will organise tea at the Dickson Hall. Action: MR, MM, LH, LM and ER

12. Secretarys Report: Matters arising as noted above. AMC advising of response from Diane Strachan about the survey report etc and reading out her email response about the survey report as well as her response to our query about the £170,000 costs of bringing the CC about to standard.

13. Treasurers Report: No report but nothing has changed since April.

14. Chairmans Report: Reminder re meeting with Lesley Robertson. One of the biggest issues is parking. There are real problems. Campaigning for fire station to move to JourneyCall unit which is now empty.

15. Fund raising. Nothing to report.

16. AOCB. Reminder from AMC about petition for change to Scotrail timetable. FH reminding everyone that the timetable changes again shortly. MM advising that the minor injuries clinic may close. There are three ptions. 1. Keep as is. 2. Close completely. 3. Close from 10 at night. Minor surgery is not A & E but some people use it as that. There is a consultation going on at the moment.

17. Date of Next Meeting: Wednesday 12 June at 7.30 pm in the Burgh Buildings. Conveth Committee to meet 22 May 2019 at 7.30 pm in the Burgh Buildings.

April 2019

Minute of the Laurencekirk Development Trust, 10 April 2019 – Burgh Buildings 7 pm.

Chaired by Jim Stuart
Present: Jim Stuart (JS), Anne-Maryse Churchill (AMC), Marion Robson (MR), Fred Higgins (FH), Lesley Higgins (LH), Morag Mitchell (MM), Ann Lewendon (AL), Lynn Moir (LM) and John Wilson (JBW)

1. Apologies were submitted by John Medlock, Coleen Henderson and Michael Robson.

2. Notifications of conflicts of interest None.

3. Minute of Meeting on 13 February: Proposed by JS and seconded by AMC.

4. Matters Arising from the Minutes. All included in the Agenda.

5. Conveth Project: AMC has spoken with Diane Strachan who is to be chasing up the valuation and will send it to AMC. Re-new EOI. Action: AMC. AMC advising that we should set a time limit of 6 weeks to get our new application in. Suggesting that the Conveth Committee meet to discuss the various suggested uses. AMC has been in touch with Rory Dutton who is happy to look over the application and has sent information to AMC by email. JS noting that he has put dates in the diary for LDT Meetings (every second Wednesday) and Conveth Group (every fourth Wednesday). AMC to advise Conveth Committee about meeting Action: AMC.

6. Discussion re: Conveth Project: Various uses were discussed as before as follows:-
Out of School Club. They are unhappy with their present location at the primary school. More space being taken from them and times being changed. Nothing was paid for the use of the space to the Council. MM Chairperson of the Out of School Club. Action: MM who will check if Council will stay pay if relocate to the old Community Centre.

Try to woo back the Art Club. Action: JS

Sub Library. Jill Reid to be spoken with Action: MR.

Café. Which will hopefully be compatible with the art club and the library amongst other things.
Mens’ shed. This seems to be covered so discussed as to whether it would be suitable. MR noted that equipment would need to be left out.

Parking spaces. There was a discussion regarding this. JS advised we would be likely to get an income of £100 a week if we did so because the High Street is so heavily congested. MR spoke about access. JS commented that Lournie Chipper would like access and to see if we could sell them that which would allow us to raise money for our coffers.

Club for Chest, Heart and Stroke suggested by MR as there is little assistance once patients are discharged from Woodend Stroke Department.

Café for people with Alzheimers.

Group for people with mental health issues.

7. Access Path to Garvock Hill. Update by JS that the farmer has agreed Amey will now do it as they may be able to get a consideration for it. To be discussed with farmer. Action JS.

8. Laurencekirk Gala: MM advising that the AGM is on 16 April at 7.30. The decision is to run the gala for one day only starting from next year as a lot of preparation is required.. There is a lot of interest in giving assistance which was welcomed.

9. New Directors: AMC explaining that paper copies of the AP01 directors forms were returned as we are registered for electronic submissions to Companies House only. AL gave AMC the authentication code to allow AMC to submit these electronically.

10. Review of communication with members and GDPR. MM kindly volunteered to take on the cleansing of the list and discussion about compliance with the regulations. AMC will copy list and deliver to MM Action: MM and AMC. Discussion about use of Mail Chimp going forward.

11. Grant Appplication to K and M Community Planning for £300 grant. Action: JS

12. Tenth Anniversary of reopening of railway station. There ensued a lively discussion about a celebration. MR led the discussion and explained what had happened when the station was re-opened. Do we want to do a celebration? The consensus was that we did. Suggestion that the Primary school do a card and that there be a presence at the station perhaps with dancers and pipers and coffee thereafter at the Dickson Hall. There was also a discussion about how it would be funded. Agreement on who would take this forward Action: MR, MM, LH, LM and AMC to write to Euan Ramsay to see if he will become involved.

13. Heritage Club meeting date. Just a reminder by MR that they meet the third Wednesday of each month and JS noting the Gala committee meet on the third Tuesday of the month.

14. Change of meeting time. It was agreed that we would continue in the Burgh Buildings on the second Wednesday of each month but at the later time of 7.30 as many found it difficult to get to the meeting for 7.

15. Secretarys Report: Matters arising as noted above. Also noting we need to pay our DTAS subscription. The table kindly contributed a total of £120 from JS, AMC, MR, FH, LH and JBW.

16. Treasurers Report: AL noted we had £11.66 at the end of the financial year but between a further donation and monies collected at the table the balance would now be £206.66 The accounts need to be filed and the annual return done in November. AMC noting 28 day deadline after the year end or we will be fined. There will be no CGT.

17. Chairmans Report: JS discussing traffic management. Junctions must be made safer given the recent tragic accidents. Letters to Scottish Government and copies to Liam Kerr and Andrew Bowie Action: JS There is to be a meeting with Lesley Robertson about the Community Action Plan. JS will provide up to date information on dates and expressing his preference that 2 member of DLT be there. Action: JS.

18. Fund raising. AMC doing an Exercisethon. Other ways of raising funds were discussed also. There was general agreement that we need funds in hand to do things.

19. AOCB. Discussion about us having a logo. AMC showing members the poster which we did for the Information Meeting and AGM and that the work done by Lizzie Birney could be tweaked to make it a logo if desired. JS advising that there is work ongoing at the Memorial Park to provide an additional toilet.

20. Date of Next Meeting: Wednesday 8th May at 7.30 pm in the Burgh Buildings.

March 2019 (AGM)

Minute of the Laurencekirk Development Trust AGM (SC435274)
Masonic Hall, 18 March 2019 at 7.30 p.m.
Financial Year 1 November 2017 – 31 October 2018

1. Jim Stuart, Chairman, welcomed the attendees. 22 Members were present.

2. Apologies were submitted by Fred Higgins, Euan Ramsay, Sylvia Cartwright and Colleen Henderson.

3. The Minutes of the AGM held on 14 March 2018 were approved and adopted. Proposer: Colin Polson. Seconder: Mike Rowson.

4. Matters Arising from the Minutes. The A90.

5. The Chairmans Annual Report was delivered by Jim Stuart.

6. Treasurers Report: Ann Lewendon presented the financial reports for the year to 31 October 2018. There was an interim report on progress to date and with regard to fund raising by Euan Ramsay.

7. Special Resolution to amend the definition of The Community by adding the postcodes AB30 GG1 and AB30 GG2 as approved under explanation that these postcodes cover the new houses built by Muir Homes.

8. The Election of Directors:
The current directors are Jim Stuart (2018), Anne-Maryse Churchill (2018), Toby Burrell (2018), Euan Ramsay (2018), Tero Luoma (2017), Colleen Henderson (2016), Sarah Leigh (2016(, Alastair Donald (2018) and Doug Shaw (2017). Sarah Leigh, Alastair Donald and Doug Shaw have all stood down.

The following candidates presented themselves for re-election: Colleen Henderson confirmed that she wished to remain, Marion Robson, Fred Higgins, Lesley Higgins and Morag Mitchell have all confirmed that they are happy to be appointed as Directors and this was unanimously accepted.

9. AOCB. Jim Stuart in his address discussed a number of matters including the old Community Centre being a WIP, the current position of LDT with various projects, the Local Development Plan, the ongoing difficulty with the new rail timetable. Mike Robson suggesting that there needs to be a traffic management plan and that DTAS may assist. A suggestion from the floor that we get grant assistance to have a proper report prepared by a specialist to take to Transport Scotland. A special sub-committee by the Gala Ladies is to be formed however given the work involved it will not take place this year.

10. The meeting was closed at approximately 8.30 pm.

11. The next monthly meeting is at the Burgh Buildings on Wednesday 10 April at 7 pm.

February 2019

Meeting held on Wed. 13th February in Burgh Buildings at 7.00pm. Chaired by Jim Stuart.

1. Present : Lynn Moir, John Medlock, Toby Burrell, Jim Stuart, Euan Ramsay, Anne-Maryse Churchill, Mike Robson, Ann Lewendon and Doug Shaw

2. Apologies: Colleen Henderson.

3. Notification of conflicts of interest : none.

4. Minute of meeting, 12th December 2018 presented and approved without change. Proposed by Toby Burrell and seconded by Anne-Maryse Churchill.

5. Matters arising from minutes. All included in agenda.

6. ”Conveth Project” review.
a) The committee agreed to submit an up-to-date application form to link to the changed CAT regulations adopted in the Community Empowerment Act. (Action MR to liaise with Rory Dutton of DTAS.)

b) Following the DTAS advice, reinstall the plan for a community benefit company to run family orientated restaurant.(Action: refer to Social Bite model).

c) Notification of Council’s decision to hold a Men’s Shed information meeting for residents of Laurencekirk. (M.R.) Contacts Linda Babbs and Graeme Hooper from A.C.

d) Agree a plan to contact local community groups re interest in the Conveth Project.(Action AMC, ER and MR)
Art Group. contact Sheila Sutherland (Action MR)

e) Re mobile library to link with Conveth Project. Action MR contact Jill Reid.

7 a) Access path to Garvock Hill as shown in Amey plan for graded junction on A90.Access for NMUs (non-mechanical users inc. pedestrians, cyclists and horse-riders) not clear.

Action (i) Request more details of footpath and budget available from Amey.(Action MR).

(ii) Meet to arrange details of lease from Messrs Cooper, Johnston Mains.of Establish cost of associated work and legal agreement. (Action J.S.)

7 b) Communication from Amey re environmental impact of graded junction.

Map enclosed but with no written explanation. LDT to question whether proposed foot/cycle path is part of the project and how it is being funded.

Pavement /path access from Laurencekirk to junction unclear. Action : MR write to Amey for clarification.

8. Laurencekirk Gala event. It was agreed to make further enquiries re available funding and to consider a limited event this year.Action MR, JS. Contact locally involved residents to gauge support. Euan Ramsay suggested use of old academy playing fields.
Check on dates for other local Galas to avoid clash.

9. Ticket sales from the Aberdeen Operatic Show in Mearns Academy resulted in a donation of £100 to support the work of the community website. Euan Ramsay was thanked for his help in arranging this fund raising project.

10. ER intimated that Fiona Crystal , the postmistress is organising a “community fair” to celebrate the Post Office. The committee welcomed this news and agreed to support the event. Date tbc.

11. AGM preparations. 20th March 2019 proposed.
Location will depend on availability Masonic Hall (JS) Venue( contact Shelagh Richardson) and Academy (MR).
Need to attract replacement 3 or 4 directors. For website advert to be produced between Lynn and Anne-Maryse. To target Garvock Hill path, Gala and Community Centre.

E-mail to be sent to members more than 14 days prior to the event.

To provide glass of wine for attendees.

12. AOCB none.

13. Date of next meeting AGM to be confirmed.

January 2019

LDT Management Meeting Minute of Wednesday 25th January 2017 at 7.00pm in Burgh Buildings.

1. Welcome

2. Apologies: Mike Robson

3. Present: Jim Stuart, Anne Lewendon, Sarah Johnston, Toby Burrell, Colleen Henderson, Anne-Maryse Churchill

4. Minute of meeting held in December 2016 – Approved

5. Matters Arising: None

6. CRTB, progress report on articles of association. See secretary’s report – Not covered – check with Mike

7. Old playing field development (see secretary’s report). Acknowledged success of LDT in preserving the playing fields, however now on to looking at future needs and plans for their use. Mike Arranging a meeting with Scott Cameron – PT PE at Mearns Academy. – Follow up to be undertaken with new chair with Mearns Junior Football club.

8. Update on community engagement to establish residents priorities for available buildings /sites.(S.L.)
Agreement to pay survey subscription for a short period of time to unlock survey for public response. £28 per month.
Plan to circulate to key groups representing various demographics across village- in addition to facebook and website and use Villages In Control.

Distribute to all the members of the group (approx. 140 members and ask that they disseminate further).
Survey feedback provided and actions taken on by Sarah and Colleen.

10. Update on Garvock Hill access route for foot/cycle path (see secretary’s report) – Following meeting with Marsailli Aspinall from Aberdeenshire Council – Toby shared a plan of the proposed cycle path – linking various train stations and towns around the Mearns area. Jim commented about lack of route across Kinnaber and viaduct.
Unclear re timescales for this plan but group shared its enthusiasm.

Jim is meeting with MAP shortly and will undertake to get more information on whats happening with the underpass at Johnston Mains- following update from Bill Howitson.

11. Treasurer’s report (A.L.) – to follow in advance of AGM

12. Secretary’s report (attached). Covered.

13. Identification of potential nominations for new directors in advance of AGM. To be considered for the next management meeting.

14. Agree preferred date and location for AGM (see secretary’s notes).
8th March AGM @ community campus.

15. AOCB and date of next meeting. Propose management meeting for 8th Feb.